Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: All music videos shot on Super8

  1. #1
    souper8
    Guest souper8's Avatar

    Post

    Hey guys,
    I'm trying to get a list together for all professional music videos shot on super8. Please post all titles that you know and comments on them. Thanks

    Souper8

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    I'd like to see this too.
    I'm not sure what which ones are on S8 either, mostly because I haven't seen a music video in a long time!

    Anybody have any idea why they are called "music videos", since they've always been shot on film?

    That's one of my pet peeves, silly and innacurate misuse of terms.
    Like this calling the World Trade Center location "ground zero" when the definition of ground zero is the ground under the detonation of a nuclear explosion.

    Really stupid, and it's getting on my nerves.
    Oh here's another one: "weapons of mass desctruction".
    It's propaganda in my opinion, trying to lump all sorts of things together with nuclear weapons, to get the same emotional response as if you were saying "nuclear weapons".
    OK, I'll get off my soapbox now!

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  3. #3
    crimsonson
    Guest crimsonson's Avatar

    Post

    Matt

    The "Ground Zero" term I think is more metaphoric than it is literal.


    Pictures of You by the Cure -

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crimsonson:
    Matt

    The "Ground Zero" term I think is more metaphoric than it is literal.


    Pictures of You by the Cure -

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Oh yeah, I know it is. I guess that's the point though; here are journalists, who are supposed to give us unbiased, accurate, informed information, and they talk in mataphores, cutesy nick-names, and innaccurate descriptions, which then spread like wildfire, and are copied by all other reporters, and then the entire population!
    If I hear "weapons of mass destruction" again, I'm gonna puke! Jeez, just say "nukes or bilogical weapons", or whatever, you know?

    I didn't mean to sound like some wacky conspiracy paranoid or anything.
    It's just a tiny peeve of mine, like when I constantly hear Madonna referred to as "the Material Girl" and cutesy crap like that.
    Or newspeople always saying "The Big Apple" instead of New York.
    In fact, I read an article, where some bored journalist did some research to find out if anyone anywhere knew why NY is called that.
    Guess what?
    Nobody has a clue why it's called that.
    It's totally meaningless too, so why say it?
    What the hell does "a big apple" have to do with New York City?
    Or how all the news reporters always refer to Semi-trucks as "Big-Rigs", rain is "a little of the wet stuff", snow is "a little of the white stuff", etc., etc.,
    Really stupid.

    Maybe I should start a PET PEAVE website.
    We can all post things like...
    Oh yeah, today, I was stuck in a bumper to bumper traffic jam for about 15 mintues.
    Wanna know why?
    I finally got up to where some guy was getting a ticket on the side of the road, and all these drivers were rubbernecking.
    After that, traffic sped up to normal.
    Makes me nuts sometimes!
    I'm losing it, I tell ya!

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  5. #5
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt Pacini:

    Anybody have any idea why they are called "music videos", since they've always been shot on film?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Oooooo. Then you don't remember the sad, sad days of early 80's music videos, do you? smile

    Remember David Bowey's "Ashes to Ashes"? Yuck!

    They're called music videos because they WERE originally shot on video. A few with a "big budget" (like $10,000 or so) actually had the nads to shoot on regular 16mm!

    But I agree it is odd that music videos are shot on film now and are still called music videos while twinky reporters STILL report live from some news event and inevitably say,"We're filming live from...."

    My dad worked for an NBC affiliate for 45 years and it's his pet peeve too. He sees reporters like that and wants to shake them and say,"That isn't film! Film is shooting at ASA 12 in the middle of the night with a refinery fire in the background about to explode and you've only got enough left on the roll for one take and then you rush back to the station, process it and run it on the air still dripping wet with fix just to beat the other stations. Now THAT's film!"

    But at least he isn't bitter about it.... smile

    Roger


    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  6. #6
    8th Man
    Guest 8th Man's Avatar

    Post

    There are several Depeche Mode (sp?) videos shot on S8 from the 80's.
    I've even seen them on a website but I'd never be able to find them now.
    The REM videos for the Document album looked like somone just shot B/W S8 out the vindow of a moving car for an hour without stopping.

    ------------------
    PRM

  7. #7
    supa_ate_sixteen
    Guest supa_ate_sixteen's Avatar

    Post

    What about dumbass DV dudes carrying around their XL1's claiming their the "future of filmmaking". That they were "just out filming a movie". That they are even filmmakers. Or "film by" on a Final Cut Pro title at the end of the worse piece of DV you've ever seen. Jeez, I'm glad we at least get the priveledge of calling our Super 8 works films.

    ------------------

  8. #8
    seekaee
    Guest seekaee's Avatar

    Post

    As memory serves me David Fincher did Paula Abdu's "straight Up" video in S-8 back in the 80's, there's also Veruka salt's "seether". For myself, the best S-8 video has to be Autechere's "second bad vible" directed no less by the extremly talented Chris Cunningham of Aphex Twin's fame.

    ------------------

  9. #9
    mattias
    Guest mattias's Avatar

    Post

    hey, where can i look up who did what video? like an imdb for music videos...

    /matt

  10. #10
    mattias
    Guest mattias's Avatar

    Post

    to answer my own question: http://www.kki.net.pl/~mvd/index1.htm

    no search engine though, and no cross references. and some annoying 404 bugs. any other link?

    /matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •